- We are excited to announce that the NDPHS Secretariat has moved to a new location at Momma Reenstierna Palace in the heart of Södermalm, just a walking distance from our previous office in the Old Town of Stockholm. Click here to read more...
- NDPHS is participating in the 10th Annual Forum of the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea region (EUSBSR) focusing on demographic changes along with the circular and sharing economy.
View our selection of links. They feature websites presenting global, regional and national initiatives and strategies on public health and social well-being, and websites of selected organisations and institutions.
Prevention of HIV infection in the Republic of Karelia 2007-2009
|Project title||Prevention of HIV infection in the Republic of Karelia 2007-2009|
|Database||Data manually inserted in the NDPHS Database|
|ID in the source database||536|
|Topic||Prevention and stabilisation of HIV/AIDS situation in the Republic of Karelia.|
|Project geographical area||Russia|
|Substate level / administrative units /regions||Karelia Republic|
|Lead partner (organisation)||National Institute for Health and Welfare, International Affairs, Finland|
|Lead partner (owner or/and project manager)||no data|
|Partner organisations||Republic of Karelia AIDS Centre|
1. Health care professionals and psychologists of Republican AIDS centre, medical clinics, educational institutions and pilot institution
2. 17-29 year-old working and studying youth and prison inmates
|Summary||The project aims to stabilise the HIV/AIDS situation in the Republic of Karelia by improving professional capacity of specialists working in the Karelian health care and educational institutions in the field of HIV prevention work over three years (2007-2009). The project is financed by the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and is implemented by the International Development Collaboration at STAKES in cooperation with the Republic of Karelia AIDS centre.|
|Background||The persistent spread of HIV infection the Republic of Karelia particularly affects its young people, especially 17-29 year-old youth. In July 2007 the number of documented HIV-infected persons in Karelia constituted 467 persons including 38 persons who were diagnosed with the virus in 2007. Women form one third of the total number of documented cases of HIV infection. Sexual mode of HIV transmission is predominant. The current levels of youth awareness are not sufficient to reduce the level of HIV-infection in the Republic of Karelia. There is the lack of information about HIV prevention among the inmates of local penitentiary institutions. At the same time, that education and health care institutions as well the federal prison authority express their readiness for HIV prevention work.|
|Objectives||The overall project objective is to stabilise the incidence of HIV/AIDS in the Republic of Karelia by means of improving professional capacity of health care and education specialists working in the field of HIV prevention.|
1. To train health care professionals and psychologists of Republican AIDS centre, medical clinics, educational institutions and pilot institutions in HIV prevention.
2. To map and address awareness and risk behaviour among target groups.
3. To raise HIV awareness among working and studying youth of 17-29 years old and prison inmates.
4. To raise HIV awareness among pilot institution employees.
1. Health care professionals and psychologists of Republican AIDS centre, medical clinics, educational institutions and pilot institution trained in HIV prevention.
2. Awareness and risk behaviour among target groups mapped and addressed.
3. HIV awareness among working and studying youth of 17-29 years old and prison inmates improved.
4. HIV awareness among pilot institution employees improved.
|Total foreseen budget||EUR 290,000|
Total implementation costs
(for completed projects, if available)
Conversion to € was done on
(according to the relevant
exchange rate at
Infoeuro Monthly Files)
|Financing agencies / organisations||Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland|
|Project's URL / project's website||no data|
|Papers associated with this project||no data|
|Further information||no data|
|Last posted:||on 2011-03-12 at 16:30:05|